Sunday, January 23, 2011

Google the Giant


Google is a household name in relation to the Internet.  Everyone is aware of the search engine and nearly all Internet users regularly utilize it.  The company has even become a ‘verb’ in modern day slang.  People will refer to searching on the site “googling” or that they “googled” something.  This just reiterates the fact that the site and company have become universally recognized in modern day society.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Google.  It is my homepage for all of my browsers and I even use the Google Chrome browser when it is available.  I never use Bing or Yahoo to search for anything, but instead use Google.  I wouldn’t say I was addicted to Google, although I use it so often, it is mainly out of convenience. Google is such a quick way to locate something on the web.

It was a genuine shock to me that multiple top ten searches on Google were “Facebook” or related variants of it.  This was a shock because it seems such a roundabout way to log onto Facebook.  It is so much easier to either have a bookmark on the bookmark bar, or even type it into the address bar.  People less familiar with the Internet or computers may not realize the ease of this, resulting in the mass amounts of Google searches.

Google is used for so many different things on the Internet today.  From song lyrics, to movie casts, random pictures, or even as a spell check, the options Google gives its users are nearly endless.  I feel that I feel like many people would be lost without it although I’d like to believe that I could manage without it.  This may mean that we are too dependent on it, and that if something were to happen to it, or change, that there would be millions of people clueless on how to navigate the web. It is such an imposing force, that I believe a lot of users don’t even realize that there are other options available. All in all, Google is a becoming almost a synonymous term with the Internet and the two go hand in hand.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it is amazing that Facebook or some variation on it is such a frequently used search term. I wonder when the rivalry between FB and Google will reach the point that Google intentionally sabotages searches designed to bring users to the FB login page? It could happen. The two companies are the main online recipients of online advertising revenue.

    ReplyDelete