Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent! - Dun Dun Dunnn


As you may or may not know, I was raised into a Catholic family.  This means that this time of the year is Lent for my church.  Typically, practicing churchgoers give something up for Lent that they would normally indulge in on a regular basis.  The idea is to realize what you take for granted, so that when Easter rolls around you realize what you have and learn from it. This also helps people improve their lives or diets in some way.  Not eating so many sweets, not drinking alcohol, and quitting smoking are a few examples of what one could give up for Lent.  It is a period of 40 days from the beginning of Lent till Easter, when it ends.

Last year, I gave up soda, which I was drinking in excess.  It went especially well, as I became especially fond of the school cafeteria’s lemonade and flavored lemonade.  I made it through the 40 days without much of an incident and even continued to drink less soda afterwards.

This year I decided to step it up a notch. Soda. And Candy. That’s right that’s two things I’m going to try to go without for the duration of Lent. Some of you may be thinking, “Okay, what’s the big deal?” If you know me at all you know that I LOVE candy. Absolutely love it. For Valentine’s Day, my girlfriend literally gave me a bag full of assortments of candy. Best. Gift. Ever. That candy didn’t last very long. It’s going to be interesting as to how I do with this addition. I’m fairly confident that I wont have any serious repercussions from it, and maybe I’ll even learn to cut back on my sugar intake for a while. Regardless, it will be a test of mind and body, well, mostly mind I guess, I’m not entirely dependent on my Skittles.

No comments:

Post a Comment